Think camping at Joshua Tree or sleeping under the stars in Northern Baja, California. This blog was inspired by the images by talented photographer Molly Ashdown’s work, she herself also hails directly from the sunny California. The California desert is inhabited by wildly curved trees, primal stacked boulders, and dreamers who go there to rock climb and BBQ in the sand. Molly says was inspired to create this America “South West” styled shoot while scouting for a wedding here in Brisbane last year at Mount Cootha Botanical Gardens.
Here’s 5 reasons why you should add Joshua Tree, California to your honeymoon vacay list:
- First up food – find a cool little taco joint.The Kasa Carniceria Y Taqueria is calling you – tucked away in the back of a grocery store, Kasa serves up tacos al pastor. A secret recipe by it’s owner, tip: go weighty on the jalapeños and pickled carrots at the salsa bar.
- Intergratron – Said to be situated on a powerful magnetic vortex, it was the constructedin the mid-1950s by UFOlogist George Van Tassel. George believes instructions were laid out for him by extra-terrestrials to construct the building. It was originally intended as a space to conduct time travel and rejuvenate the human body. These days, the perfectly domed 38-foot high, 55-foot diameter wood building is home to popular sound baths.
- Sky Village Outdoor Marketplace – snap up a vintage pair of cowboy boots, old records or a cactus if you’re not planning on flying the next day. Shop under the clear blue skies, stroll through stalls that span seven acres. Visit the whimsical recycle garden – you’ll find a mix of unusual antiques and junk.
- Stay at the Mojave Sands Motel – located in Joshua Tree, California.The motel was built in the 50’s, and hosts just five rooms. It has been called “an Eco-chic Moroccan Desert Refuge, celebrating modern-minimalism”. A selection of vinyls and outdoor fireplaces await you for your desert enjoyment. The Joshua Tree National Park just a few miles away is alluring and magical.
- Pappy & Harriet’s Pioneertown Palace – a mix of bikers, local artists, cowboys, tourists, and drop-ins, Pappy & Harriet’s serves up tasty lunches and dinners to guests. Grab a burger or a dog, most diners can’t go past ‘Pappy’s signature Chilli’. Or if you’re detoxing grab a vegetarian quesadilla.
Whatever you choose to do in California, the options are endless.
View Molly’s Gallery now:
|Molly Ashdown // Adella Lane Photography|
0423 704 745
|Christina Macca // Model|
0421 827 763
|Erica Lynn // Tutta Bella Gown|
“Amelia” Lace 2 Piece
|Trelise Elkington // T.E.K. creative Makeup (hair and makeup)|
|Sophie Townsend // Sage Flower Crowns|
|Brooke Pennell // 21 Degrees North Jewellery|
|Handmade hoops earrings & bangles. Hammered Gold fill with Tahitian pearls||Navy blue felt Akubra by RM Williams|